T: (03473) 210 -030  Fax: (03473) 210-029 E-mail: ranaghatmunicipality@gmail.com

Get Adobe Flash player


Ranaghat Municipality was established in 1864. The town of Ranaghat is located in 23011 N and 880 34 E in the eastern side of Churni River. The town is located to the North of Kolkata at a distance of about 75 kms. The district headquarters of Krishnanagar is at a distance of about 40 k.m. This town is very well linked with Kolkata through a broad gauge railway line as well as through the National Highway no. 34.Ranaghat Municipality was established in 1864. It started functioning on 21.9.1984 with its office housed in a building donated by the then Zaminder family viz. Pal Chowdhury family. In the beginning area of the municipality was 3.32 sq. miles and this area was demarcated into 6 wards covering a total population of 6000. It was the 7th Municipality of undivided Bengal. No. of councilors of the first Board was 18 out of which 12 were elected by citizens, 4 were nominated by the state Govt. and the remaining 2 were ex-officio councilors. In course of time Nasra Colony, a refugee settlement, was added to the Municipality and its area became 7.72 sq.k.m. With the increase of area and population the municipality had to be demarcated into 16 wards in 1990 and to 19 wards since 1995 by bifurcation of ward nos. 11, 12,14,16,17. Present population of the municipality is 68,754 as per census 2001.

Ranaghat is a small but growing town in West Bengal, and poised to grow more because of the excellent transport linkages; but will require more and more infrastructure facilities to offer good quality of life its citizens. The industrial development presently is in terms of small units consisting of handlooms and power-looms. Ranaghat, inhabited by a population of 68,754 (according to 2001 census) has a total area of 7. 72 sq. k.m.

Since the eighties the process of decentralization of planning process was initiated in West Bengal. In the year 1993 amended West Municipal Act1993 it was mandatory for the local bodies to prepare Draft Development Plan. However, for various reasons this did not materialize and development programme was continued on an ad hoc basis. Presently the Municipality has taken up preparation of DDP under the KUSP programme. During the post independence period due to population increase, unplanned development, socio-economy disparity, there has been migration of poor people and increase in the percentage of population in the BPL group. The basic thrust of preparation of DDP is taking up plans and programmes for overall improvement of the Municipality with special emphasis on poverty alleviation programmes for the poor and marginalized group. In the Municipality we therefore, want to take up various development programmes for the urban poor like self employment, vocational training, technical training etc. We want prioritisation of projects through stakeholders consultation, encouraging local unemployed youths for taking part in different development programme so that we can reach the fruits of development at the grass root level.The Municipality therefore, wants to proceed with better waste management procedure, following antipollution measures as per existing rules and through proper regulation of land use control regulation. Improvements in the existing water supply arrangements, proper maintenance of drainage canals, improvement and widening of roads and laying of sewer line. For all these we in the Municipality want to work together with surrounding Municipalities and Panchayets.

Partha Sarathi Chatterjee ,  Chairman - Ranaghat Municipality

*************************************************************************************************************

Ranaghat is located on the banks of River Churni. A myth is still prevalent that the name of the town came from the bandit 'Rana Dacoit', who used to pillage this area 500 or 600 years back and he used to give pujas to the goddess Kali ( Now known as Siddheswaritala Kali Mandir) . Step by step the people were accumulated here mainly for business runned on based of river churni. Ranaghat Municipality was established in 1864. It started functioning with its office housed in a building donated by the then Zaminder Krishna Kanta Pal Chowdhury. In the beginning area of the municipality was 3.32 sq. miles and this area was demarcated into 6 wards covering a total population of 6000. It was the 7th Municipality of undivided Bengal. No. of councilors of the first Board was 18 out of which 12 were elected by citizens, 4 were nominated by the state Govt. and the remaining 2 were ex-officio councilors. In course of time Nasra Colony, a refugee settlement, was added to the Municipality and its area became 7.72 sq.k.m. With the increase of area and population the municipality had to be demarcated into 16 wards in 1990 and to 19 wards since 1995. Ranaghat is a cultural town. The foot print of Rabindra Nath Tagore was also painted at Ranaghat . He came here to meet the then eminent poet and sub divisional officer Nabin Ch. Sen. The town is home to the famous Bengalipeople. Yesteryears film actress Raakhee was born and brought up in a refugee colony in Ranaghat. Athlete Soma Biswas hails from Ranaghat. Poet Joy Goswami born & brought up in the town. The Footballer Amlan Bose , Kesto Mitra also born & brought up in this town. There are so many eminent personalities in all aspect has brought up in this town , I may be apologized for not mentioning the all names. The Deychowdhury family is well known throughout the district for its prestigious "rathayatra" and for its "Durga puja". Purohit Para Durga Puja famous in Nadia.
After a long journey , we are going to celebrate 150th Anniversary of this Municipality on and from 21st Sept. 2013 for a period of one year. I like to thanks all the inhabitants of this Ranaghat for their overwhelming support to run successfully the municipality.


Bijay Prasad Mallik , Vice Chairman- Ranaghat Municipality

Quick Links

 E-Tender

 Click Here 


 Notice

 Click Here 


 Activity

 Click Here 


 Other Info

 Click Here 


 Municipality Data

 Click Here 


 Developments

 Click Here 

 NOTICE 

 E-TENDER 

  ACTIVITY 

Notice Scroll Here



E-Tender Download Here








History and Year of Establishment of the Municipality


Ranaghat Municipality was established in 1864. It started functioning on 21.9.1984 with its office housed in a building donated by the then Zaminder family viz. Pal Chowdhury family. In the beginning area of the municipality was 3.32 sq. miles and this area was demarcated into 6 wards covering a total population of 6000. It was the 7th Municipality of undivided Bengal. No. of councilors of the first Board was 18 out of which 12 were elected by citizens, 4 were nominated by the state Govt. and the remaining 2 were ex-officio councilors.In course of time Nasra Colony, a refugee settlement, was added to the Municipality and its area became 7.72 sq.k.m.
With the increase of area and population the municipality had to be demarcated into 16 wards in 1990 and to 19 wards since 1995 by bifurcation of ward nos. 11, 12,14,16,17. Present population of the municipality is 68,754 as per census 2001.

Srija




 

Aheli & Nazrul Mancha




Health Centre