T: (03473) 210 -030  Fax: (03473) 210-029 E-mail: ranaghatmunicipality@gmail.com

Get Adobe Flash player

About Us


Ranaghat Municipality was established in 1864. It started functioning on 21.9.1984 with its office housed in a building donated by the then Zaminder family viz. Pal Chowdhury family. In the beginning area of the municipality was 3.32 sq. miles and this area was demarcated into 6 wards covering a total population of 6000. It was the 7th Municipality of undivided Bengal. No. of councilors of the first Board was 18 out of which 12 were elected by citizens, 4 were nominated by the state Govt. and the remaining 2 were ex-officio councilors.
In course of time Nasra Colony, a refugee settlement, was added to the Municipality and its area became 7.72 sq.k.m.
With the increase of area and population the municipality had to be demarcated into 16 wards in 1990 and to 19 wards since 1995 by bifurcation of ward nos. 11, 12,14,16,17. Present population of the municipality is 68,754 as per census 2001.

Historical Background of the town - Ranaghat

Historically the town of Ranaghat was a part of the area ruled by Maharaja of Nadia. The name Ranaghat seems to have taken from Rana a notorious dacoit of the area. It is on record that dacoit swarmed here in 1809 when Mr. Tytlor was Magistrate. Further, it is said that Ranaghat was originally called after the Rana (queen) of the famous Krishna Chandra Maharaja of Nadia. The town is the seat of the Pal Chowdhury family of Ranaghat referred to by Bishop Heber in his journal. Krishna Chandra Panti and Sambhu Chandra Panti, two brothers who were originally petty traders in his place, founded the family. The brothers were monopolized salt trader that at that time was sold by auction by the Board of Revenue. Pal Choudhury is the title conferred by the Maharaja of Nadia. The family had done a lot of public work is the area. Besides a number of temples (viz. Siddeswari Pratima, Nistarani Devis temple, Madan Mohons temple etc.), the poultry multiplication center and Agriculture Farm for improved cultivation are notable features of the town.
After 1941, the refugees again swarmed the town. The refugee population mainly settled along the Railway line. Some of the refugee campus opened at the time has merged within the town area itself while bigger ones have still remained as refugee transit campus in some form. One of these is known as Coppers Depot close to the railway line towards the south of the town.


General Data for Executive Summary (Report as on 31.12.2007)

Area

7.72 sq. k.m.

Population 2001

68,754

Slum

Total 56; 30 covered under IHSDP and 26 are newly identified.

Slum Population

16066; where 7396 covered under IHSDP and 8670 are covered under DDP.

Population Below Poverty Level

22,816

Ward

19

Holding ( No of Households )

15,801

Total no. of markets

8 no.s

Post Office

1 no.

Banks

5 no.s

No. of Parks

6 no.s

No. of Bus Stand

3 no.s

No. of Truck Terminal

1 no.

No. of burning ghat

1 no.

Land Use

 

Residential

7.11784

Commercial

0.133556

Industrial

0.041688

Public and Semi Public

0.072568

Public Parks and Gardens

0.165208

Open Space

0.000849

Water bodies

0.180648

Drainage

 

Length of Drain

Pucca 135 k.m. and Kancha 61.20 k.m.

Street and Street Light

 

Total length of Pucca Road

107.25 k.m.s

Total length of Kancha Road

61.20 k.m. including brick road

Total length of road under street lighting

147.55 k.m.s

No. of Poles

3545 no.s (Tube light- 3225 , vapour 320)

Water Supply

 

Quantity of supply

70 lpcd

Coverage

60%

Supply hours

8 hours

Total no. of house connection

4280

No. of overhead reservoir

1 no. with Capacity of 1,25,000 Gallon

Total length of pipeline

110 k.m.

Solid waste Collection

 

Solid waste generation total per day

70.15 metric ton/day

Per Capita Solid waste generation

250 gm.

Total O & M Cost for SWM

Rs.30,00,000 /year

No. of Dumping Ground

1

Sewerage and Sanitation

 

Sewerage connection

Nil

Total no. of Sanitary latrines with septic tank

13118+2056 pour flush

% of household covered  

85%

No. of Community Toilet

2

Poverty Alleviation

 

No. of CDS

2

No. of  NHC

19 no.s

No. of  NHG

264 no.s

No. of  TCG formed

155 no.s

No. of Beneficiaries of TCG Group

2617

Amount of Thrift collected

10.10 lakhs

Amount of revolving fund received

5.05 lakhs

No. of persons availed Revolving fund

220 no.

Amount of loan availed from revolving fund

4.40 lakhs

Amount of Revolving fund Recovered

3.08 lakhs

No. of DWCUA Group formed

7 no.

No. of  Beneficiaries of DWCUA Group

86

No. of DWCUA loan sponsored to Bank

7

No. of DWCUA loan sanctioned by Bank

4

Amount of subsidy received from SUDA

4.94 lakhs

Amount of loan disbursed by Bank

0.57 lakh

No. of application sponsored to Bank for USEP(Micro Enterprise)

522 no.s

No. of application sanctioned by Bank for USEP(Micro Enterprise)

163 no.

Amount of subsidy received from SUDA in USEP ( skill training)

5.51 lakhs

Amount of lon disbursed by Bank in USEP ( skill training)

20.30 lakhs

Total no. of person have been trained in USEP ( skill training)

375 no.s

Fund received from SUDA in UWEP

77.28 lakhs

Fund disbursed

76.11 lakhs

Education

 

No. of C.E.C centre opened

20 no.s

No. of Schools

Total 44 ; where Primary 29, High 14, Jr. High - 1

No. of municipal School

Nil

No. of Pre-Primary School / I.C.D.S

34 no.s

Health

 

No. of Maternity Home

1 no.

Health Sub-Centres under C.B.P.H.C

4 no.s

No. of Ambulance

1 no.